Southern Company Analyst, Regulatory Planning in Atlanta, Georgia
Analyst, Regulatory Planning
The incumbent will support the development and maintenance of long-range regulatory financial and planning models for Southern Company Gas’s distribution utilities and Distribution Operations operating segment. Additionally, analysis of industry trends, regulatory climate and activity at state and federal levels, and an understanding fundamental market issues in Southern Company Gas’s regulated footprint will be required to support the development of long-range regulatory plans for Southern Company Gas’s distribution utilities and Distribution Operations operating segment. The position will also be responsible for various financial analyses of a complex, regulatory nature.
This position is part of a job family and can either be filled at a Jr. Regulatory Planning Analyst (Level 3 ), Regulatory Planning Analyst (Level 5) and Sr Regulatory Planning Analyst (Level 6).
• Supports annual budget process, monthly forecasts and periodic internal reporting.
• Creates monthly report of regulatory activity around the company and the nation.
• Supports regulatory policy, rate, and compliance filing in multiple jurisdictions
• Develops and maintains long-range financial models for regulated distribution companies.
• Ability to handle complex financial and regulatory rules across multiple jurisdictions and understand how they impact the Gas Distribution Operations segment’s earnings.
• Ability to synthesize complex financial data into actionable information
• Maintains an in depth understanding regulatory rules and frameworks
• Experience with cash flow and special project financial modeling standards
• Capable of interpreting, summarizing and presenting strategic results to executive leadership
• Works with peers and management to ensure long-range planning models are up to date and accurate model the regulatory framework of each jurisdiction
• Works with peers, management and counsel to prepare regulatory filings as needed.
• Ensures that peers and management are informed and trained, as is appropriate, related to regulatory modeling, assumptions and process
• Ensures regulatory planning models are accurate and up to date.
• Ensures stakeholders are informed of regulatory planning and policy issues
• Ensures ethics and compliance issues stemming from or related to regulatory policy or planning activities are appropriately addressed.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics, or related
Preferred: Master’s degree with an emphasis in finance, accounting, or economics
Related Work Experience:
Required: 3-10 years accounting or financial analysis
Preferred: 3 years accounting or financial analysis in a regulated energy market
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Strong verbal and written communications skills
MS Excel – intermediate to advanced proficiency
Attention to detail
Thought leadership, industry issues analysis, planning, problem-solving, analysis and decision-making abilities
Ability to manage and complete multiple high-priority projects and activities with strict time-sensitive deadlinesPreferred:
Knowledge of financial modeling including the use of Utilities International or similar modeling software.
ERP/financial system integration experience including User Acceptance Testing as well as ongoing configuration responsibility.
Detailed and specific knowledge of regulatory theory and practice as they relate to the regulations of an LDC Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
The incumbent may be required to travel on an infrequent basis (0-5%). Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stays away from home for one or more nights
The incumbent works in an office environment
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Accounting & Auditing
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2001258