Southern Company Corporate Communications Lead in Atlanta, Georgia
Corporate Communications Lead
The Client Communications Specialist serves as a strategic business partner to internal customers and is responsible for providing internal and external communications consultation, planning, and implementation. The successful candidate will be a strong writer who develops issue or event specific communications plans and manages a variety of communications initiatives, including print or electronic publications, internal websites, collateral materials, talking points, videos and related projects. The position will ensure client communications align with company strategy and branding, and will work closely with the internal executives and their staff, providing counsel and execution support on key communication initiatives. The position will organize and support special event sessions as needed, gather and analyze data on communications effectiveness, and recommend improvements to extend reach and employee engagement.
S/he will work closely with other teams to successfully communicate Southern Company’s positions on a range of issues to employees, media and other stakeholders. A key responsibility for the Communications Specialist will be able to work with the internal communication, media relations and other teams to identify opportunities/story ideas, prepare support materials, and participate in targeted outreach.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum of 3 years experience in Corporate Communications or Public Relations
• Proven track record in garnering quality-earned media placement
• Experience managing social media campaigns spanning multiple platforms
• Employee/internal communications experience preferred
• Knowledge of and experience with a variety of communications disciplines, including public/media relations
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, with a particular emphasis on the ability to write concisely and clearly for a variety of audiences and vehicles with minimal editing
• Collaborative team player with strong listening, creative thinking, analytical, organizational, problem-solving and relationship-building skills
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit for a variety of forms – print publications, websites, videos, correspondence, magazines, opinion columns, speeches, fact sheets, Q&As, etc.
• Highly effective interpersonal, consulting and negotiating skills with a demonstrated ability to work and influence effectively throughout the organization
• Experience in Web communications, including content development, production of online newsletters, and site updates
• Expertise in Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook required
• Willingness and ability to travel
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as primary internal communications writer and coordinate across the corporate communications department, including media relations, on topics related to the internal client
• Develop content for Southern Company and functional organization websites
• Research, write, edit, proofread, produce, and distribute print, online and video communications to targeted audiences within the company
• Help implement and plan broader system-wide employee communications strategy
• Create, implement and oversee communications projects – including messaging and strategic communications planning – that effectively describe and promote a specific organization’s products and initiatives
• Meet with department subject matter experts to gather pertinent information and obtain clarity regarding goals and objectives, accurate messages and timelines
• Advise as to the most effective delivery timing, vehicles, and tone of communications projects
• Manage the production of communication materials to ensure timelines are met.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Communications & External Affairs
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Services
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Southern Company Headquarters - 30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW (30ATLANTA)
30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW
Req ID: SCS2007517