Southern Company Junior Accountant in Atlanta, Georgia
About Southern Company Gas
Southern Company Gas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), America’s premier energy company. Southern Company Gas serves approximately 4.5 million natural gas utility customers through its regulated distribution companies in seven states and more than 1 million retail customers through its companies that market natural gas and related home services. Other nonutility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. For more information, visit Southern Company Gas at southerncompanygas.com .
Basic Function: Prepares and analyzes transactions to support fixed assets and capital expenditures for Southern Company Gas and subsidiaries.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
• Records basic accounting transactions via journal entries relating to fixed assets and depreciation.
• Performs general ledger account reconciliations and monthly roll forward schedules, researches and resolves outstanding items/issues.
• Assists with various transactional processes and module interfaces for asset additions, retirements, transfers and adjustments.
• Assists with capital expenditure requests, analysis and reporting.
• Calculates, reviews, and analyzes financial information relating to specialty area.
• Generates standard and non-standard reports; analyzes reports and provides recommendations.
• Conducts periodic review of fixed assets and capital expenditure records to ensure PPE is properly maintained.
• Works with customers (internal and external) to resolve problems; answers questions and provides recommendations.
• Interfaces with internal and external auditors and provide audit schedules and data.
• Serves as subject matter expert, reviews work flow processes; provides continuous process improvement suggestions.
• Provides support for FERC and other regulatory reporting to aid in depreciation studies and rate cases.
• Develops training materials/guidebooks and performs internal customer training related to Southern Company Gas procedures and SOX internal controls.
• Completes other duties and responsibilities, on a timely basis, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• BA/BS degree in Accounting and/or Finance
• 2 - 5 years of experience analyzing accounting activities
• or any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training which enable applicant to meet entry requirement.
• Equivalent academic education and experience
• Demonstrated working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Analytical and judgment skills
• Time management and planning
• Interpersonal skills
• PeopleSoft Financials General Ledger, Project Costing - moderate proficiency
• Power Plant Projects and Assets – moderate proficiency
• MS Word – intermediate proficiency
• MS Excel - intermediate proficiency
• None required
• Executing for Results
• Collaboration and Building Relationships
• Learning and Thinking
• Industry Knowledge/Business Acumen
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Keyboarding = 80-85%
• Viewing reports and information on-line = 80-85%
• Travel = 5%
About Southern Company
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com at http://www.southerncompany.com/ .
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Accounting & Auditing
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Southern Company Gas Headquarters (10Atlanta)
10 Peachtree Place
Atlanta , 30309
Req ID: GAS2001147