Southern Company Measurement Specialist in Atlanta, Georgia
The purpose of this position is for the installation, maintenance, inspection, calibration, and troubleshooting of large industrial meter sets including electronic integrators and ancillary devices installed on diaphragm, rotary, and turbine meters. Assist during installation of new meter sets and collects set information to be entered into the Company’s asset systems such as GCMA, MHS, DataStream 7I. Investigate and provide feedback to mitigate customer metering issues. Manage Industrial meter shop located at the Riverdale LNG Plant
• Installation, maintenance, inspection, calibration, and troubleshooting of electronic and mechanical equipment used to measure natural gas flow volumes at industrial customers using diaphragm, rotary, and/or turbine meters.
• Understands all aspects including installation, maintenance, inspection and troubleshooting of auxiliary devices installed on diaphragm, turbine and rotary meters including both mechanical and electronic correctors, AMR devices, cellular modems, output pulsars, counters, and integrators.
• Understands cause and effect of metering issues and investigates customer issues.
• Maintains, repairs and replaces regulator and relief valves on Industrial meter sets.
• Perform installation of conduit and wiring for electronic integrators and AMR equipment at customer meter installations which will meet the requirements of the National Electrical Code.
• Collects all meter set information for entry into the Company’s asset repository system (GCMA, 7I MHS.)
• Ability to rebuild and test Rotary and Turbine meters and industrial regulators at the Riverdale LNG Meter Shop.
• Understands industry (AGA, SGA, etc.) calibration procedures as they relate to measurement devices.
• Ability to self-prioritize and organize daily work assignments and regional requirements.
• Ability to analyze and interpret data to resolve issues and make process changes.
• Propose tactical direction of compliance related tasks.
• Collaborate and engage numerous internal departments to meet company goals and build cohesive relationships.
• Communicates with department management to meet all regulatory requirements.
• Instruct and engage all measurement personnel.
• Execute departmental metrics.
• Ensure all regulatory requirements are met.
• High School diploma or GED.
• Associates or 2-year technical degree.
Related Work Experience:
• 2 years of experience working in Measurement.
• 5 years field experience working in utility industry.
SPECIFIC SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
• Good skill level using hand tools.
• Good skill level using electronic calibration equipment.
• Good computer skills.
• Good understanding of measurement principles and application to meters.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to reach above shoulder-level.
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• This position occasionally requires the ability to lift 25-50 pounds.
• Infrequent traveler; working in the field, as well as, an office and shop environment.
Disclaimer: This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Atlanta Gas Light
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 75 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2001683