Southern Company National Sales Engineer in Atlanta, Georgia
National Sales Engineer
This position within GAS National Accounts serves to develop relationships, provide superior customer service to large nationally based customers, and leverage those relationships for system growth through the promotion of gas technologies and product and service sales. Specifically, this position will:
• Have multi-state presence and provide support and services with the SCS National Accounts team.
• Will represent all GAS regulated utilities and interface with unregulated business units
• May have moderate to significant energy efficiency needs
• May be active in national forums such as EEI’s National Accounts program
These customers will be handled primarily by phone and electronic communication with moderate travel to customer locations and EEI National Account Forums.
To ensure the successful delivery of services to these customers, this position will work closely with GAS LDCs and subsidiaries by building and maintaining relationships with internal partners to capitalize on marketing plans, energy efficiency programs, and service delivery. This position will maintain relationships with energy managers, logistics and executives within the customer organization as needed to capitalize on marketing plans, energy efficiency programs, sales opportunities, and service delivery.
The successful candidate will be required to stay current with industry trends, evolving regulations, and their customers business needs to ensure strategies, recommendations, and decisions are well developed
• 4-year degree in Marketing, Finance, Economics, or engineering strongly preferred
• MBA a plus
• 2-3 years’ experience in sales/marketing or engineering within Southern Company, Southern Company affiliates, industry partners, or other utilities.
• Direct customer interface, problem resolution, team and individual project management experience desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrates Our Values
• Working knowledge of GAS rates, policies, procedures and delivery practices
• Understanding of end use technologies, product and service offerings, and energy efficiency programs, along with the ability to adapt to new product offerings
• Effective understanding and use of region and corporate resources, as well as SoCo subsidiaries and partners
• Ability to develop and leverage internal partnerships across the Southern System.
• Abilty to handle demanding situations, resolve conflict, and operate in a competitive environment
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written skills
• Abilty to communicate in a convincing manner while interfacing with individuals at all levels, both with customers and internally
• Ability to prioritize, manage, and respond to needs of the customer
• Ability to understand customers key performance objectives and convey how company products and services can contribute to customer’s success
• Experience handling a large group of customers effectively primarily through phone and electronic communication
• Estimated overnight travel is 15 to 20%
• Must demonstrate good safety behaviors and commitment to safety excellence
• Self-motivated, self-directed, and proactive
• Proven team player who can work independently
• Act as the GAS point of contact for a customer base of 120 customers primarily using phone, electronic communication, industry conferences, and occasional travel to customer locations
• Secure strong relationships with customer base on behalf of Southern Company and GAS affiliates that lead to superior customer satisfaction
• Act as a consultant for the customer by understanding the customer’s business. Seek to provide effective and creative solutions to customers’ needs
• Build effective relationships with customer base, leverage those relationships, and execute strategies that lead to superior customer satisfaction as well as leads for electrification and products and services
• Develop and execute on going account plan strategies for customers
• Collect record, maintain, and update customer related data, correspondence and contracts via systems provided
• Demonstrate trust, responsiveness, value, and knowledge by contacting the customer regularly, anticipating needs, uncovering opportunities, and responding to requests promptly
• Demonstrate knowledge of pertinent technical, business, regulatory, and industry issues related to the customers business
• Recognize and utilize the correct company resources to solve customer problems while achieving business goals
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2001857