Southern Company Project Coordinator in Atlanta, Georgia
This position is an exciting opportunity for engineers and construction management professionals that enjoy the challenges and responsibilities of coordinating the construction of natural gas transmission and distribution facilities. The right candidate must be a self-starter and able to make sound decisions. Incumbents in this role administer external resources who construct gas utility infrastructure, while delivering on financial and operating objectives. The Project Coordinator drives quality and safety expectations and ensures that those standards are met within a functional or regional area.
• Oversees construction of underground gas utility infrastructure for residential, commercial, and industrial properties.
• Makes decisions in the field and coordinates with internal and/or external service providers and support departments (environmental and real estate) and external agencies to ensure that work is performed as planned, permitted and scheduled.
• Inspects Construction (safety, compliance, quality, locates and restoration).
• Reviews and approves work orders, progress reports, field changes, invoices, as-built records and bid contracts to ensure compliance and company standards and policies.
• Appraises Engineering, new business, regional and other applicable stakeholders on project progress.
• Monitors project specific budget and/or cost per unit variances and identifies exceptions/variances.
• Responds to emergency situations in a specific region during after hours
• Analyzes costs and benefits for specific construction projects and evaluates alternatives to ensure cost effectiveness of construction projects.
• Evaluates and recommends field design changes to keep construction projects on schedule and at or below Budget.
• Interprets pipeline contracts to effectively leverage and negotiate the application of contractual items with external service providers.
• Maintains customer satisfaction through timely and thorough communication with individual customers, municipalities and other governmental agencies at pre-con meetings and throughout the project (such as state DOTS, Counties, etc).
• Influences external contractors who represent the company by shadowing corporate values.
• Creates and/or implements improved processes and techniques to enhance operating environments.
• Performs constructability reviews to assist engineers in project design.
• Monitors and reports construction progress to ensure projects meet or exceed budget and schedule goals.
Valid Driver’s License
High School Diploma or GED
Bachelor’s Degree in civil/mechanical engineering or construction management
PMP or PE certification
Related Work Experience:
One of the following:
1 year of experience in gas pipeline construction (Crew Foreman level or above)
2 years of experience in Gas Distribution Operations (Crew Foremen level or above)
3 years of experience in Utility Construction (Crew Foremen level or above)
5 years of experience in non-Utility Construction Management (Superintendent level or above)
1 years of supervisory or leadership experience – can be experience managing contract crews, managing a team, managing projects, or other similar supervisory/leadership experience
Project Management – Budgets, Schedules, Change Orders and Risks
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook (Intermediate Skills)
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Construction
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Atlanta Gas Light
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 100 % of the Time
Metro Atlanta Area (MetroAtlanta)
Metro Atlanta Area
Req ID: GAS2001171