Southern Company Computer/Software Engineer - Plant Farley in Columbia, Alabama
Computer/Software Engineer - Plant Farley
Computer/Software Engineer - Plant Farley
If you want to make an impact, then we want YOU!
Want to use your skills to make a difference in your community every single day? Then join the Southern Nuclear team that’s improving the lives of our neighbors in Alabama and Georgia. We operate six units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power that generate vital energy for our communities:
• The Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan, Ala.
• The Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant near Baxley, Ga.
• The Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Ga.
We’re also building the future of energy with two new nuclear units currently under construction at Plant Vogtle. And we’re leading the charge on the research and development of the next generation of nuclear reactors – all for the benefit of our customers.
Thanks to our people, we’ve earned our place as an energy leader. If YOU want to want make a positive impact in your community and be part of the team that’s taking our industry to new levels of excellence, then we want YOU!
We are looking for an experienced computer/software engineer. Experience in power generation and/or cyber security is desired, but not required.
Education: Bachelor's Degree or higher in a Computer Engineering field. (Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering with an emphasis on computers and programming, etc.).
Summary of Job Duties:
The Engineer is primarily accountable for all software and hardware troubleshooting, revision, and repairs of the Plant Computer and Turbine Control System for each unit at Farley Nuclear Plant. Additionally, the applicant will prepare budget estimates for work on the plant computer, will deal with vendors related to the plant computer, and will answer condition reports, work orders and action items related to the plant computer. The applicant will also perform standard system engineering duties such as system health reporting and monitoring.
Engineers at Southern Nuclear may have opportunities to manage special projects. Engineers also typically take key refueling outage assignments. The current climate has presented increased opportunities for advancement to technical, supervisory and management positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience in software programming using C, C , C#, JAVA or Visual Basic
• Experience and expertise with the computer system and network systems operation and troubleshooting
• An ability to solve problems and make sound engineering decisions, based on experience and appropriate industry practices, in order to make timely decisions which might impact plant safety and reliability.
• Ability to clearly and effectively communicate issues and proposed solutions.
• The position requires the individual to be on-call, and available to assist with related troubleshooting and restoration activities.
• Infrequent overnight travel may be required.
• Accepts ownership of assigned programs, projects and tasks and drives for improvements.
• Develops strategy for optimum equipment performance and reliability.
• Works well as part of a team.
• Manages financial performance to control costs.
• Works through conflicts to create win/win situations.
• Holds self and others accountable for results.
• Values diversity and respects the dignity of every individual.
• Assumes personal responsibility for individual and company successes.
• 3 or more years experience in software troubleshooting, software development, and hardware troubleshooting.
• Project management
• The successful candidate must meet background screening and NRC Fitness for Duty requirements
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-South Alabama-Dothan
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Other Locations: Alabama-South Alabama-Columbia
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Plant Farley - 7388 North State Hwy 95 (7388COLUMBIA)
7388 North State Hwy 95
Req ID: SNC2005186