Southern Company Mechanic,Fleet Management in Crestwood, Illinois
The purpose of this position is to ensure that fleet vehicles and equipment is maintained and repaired in a safe, reliable, economical and serviceable manner. This is a Nicor Gas role focused on all preventive and certain advanced corrective maintenance activities on company fleet vehicles and equipment. HOURS M-T 3:30pm -12:am F 12:00pm-8:30pm
• Performs all fleet vehicle and equipment preventive maintenance related activities in accordance with defined fleet procedures.
• Performs electric system diagnostic and repairs on all fleet vehicles and equipment; and performs diagnostics and solves drivability problems of all gasoline vehicles.
• Performs brake system diagnostics, repairs and component replacements on all fleet vehicles and equipment in accordance with manufacturer specifications.
• Transports fleet vehicles and equipment between fleet service, third party establishments and operating areas; and performs vehicle and equipment fueling tasks in accordance with defined fleet procedures, company safety guidelines and state and federal regulations.
• Conducts fleet helper back-up and other duties as assigned.
• Identifies and informs supervisor and other qualified fleet personnel on vehicle and equipment preventive/corrective maintenance issues outside of their qualifications and expertise to ensure completion in a safe, reliable and timely manner.
• Organizes and effectively manages daily work assignments; and accurately records time, material and service charges in accordance with company policies, procedures and defined fleet work practices.
• Identifies and informs co-workers, peers and management personnel on unsafe conditions and/or work practices to ensure compliance to company policies and to mitigate personnel injuries or safety-related incidents.
• Engages with fleet, business unit and department personnel in a courteous manner and ensures transparency on fleet maintenance and transportation related activities.
• Engages with third party service providers, training and safety to ensure overall effectiveness in fleet maintenance and training related activities.
• Collaborates with fleet, other department and safety personnel/committees to ensure a safe work environment.
• Executes responsibilities timely and accurately to ensure overall fleet vehicle and equipment availability, performance and reliability.
• Identifies and initiates fleet process, service and material improvements focused on enhancing departmental efficiencies and cost effectiveness.
• Provides timely and accurate information and system updates on pending fleet vehicle and maintenance activities to ensure efficient and effective resource scheduling.
• High school diploma or GED
• Commercial Drivers License class A (with air brake endorsement)*
• Good driving record
• Department of Transportation medical card*
• Must self furnish enough tools to be able to perform daily work and obtain company complete Fleet Services Mechanic tool list per bargaining agreement (within 1 year of certification)*
• Pass company in-house Fleet Services Mechanic Certification test*
• A.S.E. certifications (minimum of 4 total and at least 3 must be from Engine Repair, Brakes, Electrical Systems, Engine Performance, or Suspension/Steering)
• Must be available to work 2nd shift (approximately 4:00 pm-midnight)
• *needs to meet job requirements by 120 day performance review
• Automotive technology courses
Related Work Experience:
• 2-3 years experience in automotive work, including preventive and corrective maintenance, brake systems, electrical systems and tire mounting; or equivalent academic and education experience
• Exposure to utility, municipal or commercial fleet maintenance environment
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Reading, writing and computer/system skills sufficient to enter work orders, time, material and other required record keeping information into company supported systems.
• Ability to timely comprehend training on expected forms of communications with our customers including e-mail and voice mail systems, face-to-face and preventive maintenance/down lists.
• Ability to timely obtain and retain company required driving, safety and compliance training/certifications.
• Ability to comprehend and complete company defined hands-on training requirements of all preventive maintenance procedures and new types of equipment for all fleet vehicles and equipment.
• Knowledge of natural gas vehicles and related support systems
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• The position works in a garage and/or field environment.
• The position requires flexibility in working shifts as required.
Disclaimer: This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification. #LI
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Crestwood
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Union Covered: Yes
Crestwood - 4829 West 135th St. (4829CrestwoodCODE)
4829 West 135th St.
Req ID: GAS2002231