Southern Company Safety Specialist in Des Plaines, Illinois
This position requires a strong field presence striving to minimize work related incidents by working with all employees in implementing injury avoidance and accident prevention programs. This position will develop, implement and train on internal and external safety compliance, policies, regulations, and procedures.
To achieve success in this position, you are likely to have the ability to influence others on the importance of safety through your passion, skills, and knowledge. Our environment is governed by OSHA and DOT, so similar experience will be beneficial.
This position is part of a job family that spans from entry level to advanced safety compliance positions. Specific position level will be based on years of experience and/or education; demonstrated knowledge, skills & ability; complexity of programs administered, risk and responsibility, and budgetary value managed.
• Champion, coach, and promote occupational safety programs.
• Ability to learn and interpret OSHA/DOT regulations.
• Conduct root cause analysis and determine corrective actions.
• Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) to departments on matters of occupational safety and compliance.
• Ability to understand and recognize hazards.
• Ability to lead and direct safety expectations with employees.
• Support implementation of Nicor gas safety programs.
• Conduct inspections (facility, worksite, etc.) to ensure compliance.
• Train, coach, and deliver presentations to educate employees on safety programs.
• Provide emergency response support.
• Promote the Nicor Gas Safety Culture and Safety Value.
• Teach and promote proper body mechanics and required Personal Protective Equipment.
• Execute on Nicor Gas Strategic Safety Plan
• Communicate leading and lagging indicators to management.
• Support achieving safety objectives, goals and targets.
• Determine safety best practices to support the company’s goals by consulting with company representatives (internal peers and other key business units) and external sources such as AGA and peer companies.
• Ability to support ALL employees at Nicor Gas to promote safety, quality and workmanship
• Desire to create a strong field presence on a daily basis
• Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills at all levels within the Company necessary to guide business units and individuals with respect to Health & Safety issues.
• Develop and conduct presentations for business and safety meetings, safety committee meetings, safety summits, and other presentations on safety related standards and policies.
• Motivate and encourage development of a safety culture by facilitating focus group exercises (e.g. Hazard Analyses, Safety Culture Assessments, Safety Committee Exercises, and Job Hazard Assessments).
• Conduct safety compliance assessments. Drive the business units to correct deficiencies by conducting follow-up meetings with the business leaders.
• Direct and oversee investigations of Health & Safety incidents such as higher severity injuries and motor vehicle collisions and process safety incidents.
• Monitor implementation of corrective and preventive actions to prevent further incidents.
• Implement and support safety programs critical to changing behaviors.
• BA/BS degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other related technical or science degree.
Related Work Experience:
• Previous supervisory experience or
• Minimum of 3 years operations experience
• Experience with practical field applications of safety programs
• Previous Utility Supervision or Operations experience
• Working knowledge of OSHA/DOT regulations and programs
Specific Skills& Knowledge:
• Ability to manage multiple projects with limited supervision
• Ability to understand and analyze legislation, regulation and translate into corporate summaries and policy as needed
• Strong leadership skills
• Must be able to work in the field under a variety of weather conditions
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures
• Strong presentation and team facilitation skills
• MS Office Suite - intermediate proficiency, ability to learn other databases and technology tools quickly
• Project management skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Competency to work independently, to be a self-starter, and take initiative
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• The incumbent works in an office environment, but will be primarily working in the field being exposed to varying outdoor weather conditions when working with field operations, conducting facility inspections, facilitating assessments, etc.
• Expected to cover a large service territory
• Expected travel within the Nicor Gas territory
• The incumbent may be required to travel on an occasional basis. Trips will likely require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• Must be able to respond to urgent Health & Safety issues when contacted.
• Availability to respond to assist in emergency situations when needed.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Safety & Health
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Des Plaines
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Des Plaines - 1665 Birchwood Ave. (1665DesPlainesCODE)
1665 Birchwood Ave.
Des Plaines, 60018
Req ID: GAS2002232