Southern Company Apprentice Switchboard Wireman (Multiple Vacancies) in Forest Park, Georgia
Apprentice Switchboard Wireman (Multiple Vacancies)
APPRENTICE SWITCHBOARD WIREMAN - TRANSMISSION SUBSTATION CONSTRUCTION (Multiple Vacancies)
Apprentice Switchboard Wireman will perform wiring services under direct supervision in control circuits, control panels, and equipment in Transmission Substations throughout the state of Georgia. This includes pulling cables, terminating both AC / DC control circuits, and building control panels. In addition, this position will work toward becoming proficient in function-testing of control panels and de-energizing control panels in various AC / DC control circuits. This position is part of a statewide traveling Switchboard Wiring Department that is responsible for working in both new and existing transmission substations. This position requires the successful candidate to be able to work with DC batteries and pull, route, and terminate AC / DC control cable within a substation. This position works four ten-hour days and requires overnight and out-of-town stays during the week near the construction location. Travel expenses, hotel expenses and meals are the responsibility of the Apprentice Switchboard Wireman, and a per diem is provided to help cover these costs.
This position is covered under the Memorandum of Agreement between Georgia Power Company and the IBEW Local No. 84 which includes an increase every six months until you max out in your job classification and a cost of living increase annually. This position is subject to call-out overtime work, scheduled overtime work, and storm restoration response.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• More than 2 years’ experience in AC or DC Controls is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of AC or DC control circuits including installation work (cable splicing, electrical print reading and layout, terminations, cable sizes, wire color coding, etc.)
• Safety champion
• Proven team player
• Good communication skills
• Dependable and Self-motivated
• Takes personal ownership of projects and assignments
• All candidates must enjoy working outdoors or in a controlled environment that is mentally and physically demanding.
• Must adhere to all safety requirements and demonstrate "Target Zero" behaviors. Adhere to Georgia Power's philosophy that "Every day, every job, safely."
• Must demonstrate the ability and desire to work safely and display ethical behavior at all times.
• Must be completely focused on using Human Performance tools.
• Ability to work at heights of 20 feet may be required in this position.
• Ability to work off of a 6’ step ladders is essential to succeed in this position.
• All construction jobs require extended overnight stays and travel throughout the state of Georgia.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
• To be considered for an interview, candidates must pass a pre-employment CAST test (basic mechanical aptitude) and a Physical Abilities Test as well as a Customer Value Assessment.
• A thorough background check, drug screening including a nicotine test, DOT Physical and Worker's Compensation Questionnaire will be required prior to employment.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Apprentice Switchboard Wireman will have the opportunity to bid into Switchboard Wireman positions in Substation Construction provided all the necessary prerequisites are met which includes qualification on the required tests.
Apprentice Switchboard Wireman in Construction will undergo an extensive training program, including classroom and on-the-job training. The training program lasts approximately 3 years. Upon successful completion of the training, the employee is eligible to bid on Switchboard Wireman positions as they become available.
Successful candidate must be available to work assigned storm duty, which could include evenings, weekends, holidays, and overnight travel.
Must understand the value of customer service and support.
All candidates are subject to the Georgia Power Company Smoke Free Workplace Policy: You must be free from all tobacco products (including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chew, snuff, patch and/or gum), at least six months prior to applying for this position .
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the Company's promise to 2.6 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the Company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com at http://www.georgiapower.com/ and connect with the Company on Facebook ( Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower ), Twitter ( Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower ) and Instagram ( Instagram.com/ga_power ).
We offer a competitive compensation package. Southern Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) of minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
Job Field: Power Line Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Forest Park
Operating Company: Georgia Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 75 % of the Time
Union Covered: Yes
Gen Svc Hqtr Forest Park - 62 Lake Mirror Road (62FORESTPARK)
62 Lake Mirror Road
Forest Park, 30297
Req ID: GPC2006860