Southern Company Material Distribution Center Stockhandler in Gulfport, Mississippi
Material Distribution Center Stockhandler
General Warehouse Stock Handler
This position is responsible for issuing required materials to distribution line, substation, and transmission crews utilizing necessary material handling equipment or by hand. Position is also responsible for receiving material for inventory as well as non-stock material for business units. Position has responsibility for picking and staging of material for crew work orders. Candidate in this position must be able to perform necessary documentation as required by Internal Controls (paper / computer) of all transactions. Position is in a warehouse type setting with exposure to extreme weather. Candidate should have the ability to progress upward to a General Warehouse Driver position. This position will require a Class A CDL (Commercial Driver License) permit within 6 months of employment, and a Class A CDL license within 1 year of employment.
• Experience in forklift and warehouse operations is preferred.
• Class A CDL (Commercial Driver License) permit 6 months of employment, and a Class A CDL license within 1 year of employment required.
• High School Diploma required.
• Forklift certification preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Candidate must be able to work proficiently within a computer environment and be computer literate. This position requires candidate to make transaction entries within SCM computer application (EZ-MAX/MAXIMO) on a daily basis.
• Candidate must be able to comprehend written and verbal communications in order to issue/receive materials to crews.
• Have the ability to operate various pieces of warehouse equipment (rack loaders, motorized pallet jacks, forklifts and various hand tools including but not limited to sledgehammers, wire cutters, rolling carts, electronic scales, sweeper machine.
• Loading/unloading of trucks by hand or utilizing warehouse equipment.
• Perform necessary housekeeping duties.
• Utilize handheld scanner to scan/number and track transformers.
• Work in all types’ weather.
• Ability to lift, push, and pull heavy objects (up to 50 lbs.).
* A pre-employment test is required for this position.
Mississippi Power a subsidiary of Southern Company, serves southeast Mississippi. We have a history of customer and community service, economic development leadership, environmental stewardship and employee involvement.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy company serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries as of Jan. 1, 2019. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company, a fiber optics network and telecommunications services . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices below the national average. For more than a century, we have been building the future of energy and developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, advanced carbon capture technologies, natural gas, renewables, energy efficiency and storage technology. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation and a low-carbon future, Southern Company and its subsidiaries develop the customized energy solutions our customers and communities require to drive growth and prosperity. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and govern our business to the benefit of our world. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have been recognized nationally by the U.S. Department of Defense, G.I. Jobs magazine, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, Forbes and the Women's Choice Award. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Supply Chain
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Mississippi-Coastal Area-Gulfport
Operating Company: Mississippi Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Union Covered: Yes
Coast Division Office - 2908 28th Street (2908GULFPORT)
2908 28th Street
Req ID: MPC2001974