Southern Company Liquefied Natural Gas Plant Operator in Jacksonville, Florida
Liquefied Natural Gas Plant Operator
The Liquefied Natural Gas Plant Operator position is directly responsible for providing Liquefied Natural Gas Plant Operations service 365 days a year. Responsibilities include operating, monitoring, and troubleshooting the liquefaction, Power Generation, Boiloff Compression and Loading process systems at the Jacksonville Liquefied Natural Gas plant such that reliable and dependable service is provided to meet daily Liquefied Natural Gas requirements. These responsibilities involve an intense analytical interpretation of gas theory and the utilization of flow sheets, process drawings, and technical manuals to analyze and adjust process conditions so that plant efficiency is maintained. Responsible for starting, monitoring, controlling, and securing operating machinery and plant processes for efficient and dependable plant operations. Responsible for providing security service for the facility including facility access control and monitoring, security patrols, security alarm assessment and reporting. This position has the responsibility of controlling all activity at the plants including plant operations, security, and safety procedures of plant and Company employees, as well as, contractors and visitors on site. May train other Liquefied Natural Gas operators and plant personnel.
POSITION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
Job requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent, two years of related technical training and four years progressive work experience in a related field (electronics, engineering or gas-industry technology) or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that enables the applicant to meet minimum job entry requirements. Must be computer literate and familiar with common software programs. Must pass the Company’s DOT physical examination and drug and alcohol test. Not intimidated by heights and must be able to work a rotating shift and observed Company holidays.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
1. Knowledge - Ability to perform all operational procedures required to operate all the Company’s LNG plants safely, reliably, and efficiently. The ability to understand and apply the property principles of natural gas to the plant processes.
2. Technical Skills - The ability to operate electronic and/or pneumatic controllers and computer terminals. Knowledge of personal computers with the ability to learn and develop new applications using the plants’ control systems, third party software and the Company’s main frame system. Must be capable of using a wide area network and computer terminal from a remote location to operate the Liquefied Natural Gas plants’ equipment and processes.
3. Analytical Skills - The ability to understand and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings, process schematics, plant manuals and equipment manuals of all the Company’s Liquefied Natural Gas plants. Must be able to use operational knowledge to analyze process conditions and make controlling decisions to achieve plant and Company goals.
4. Decision making skills - Ability to make sound decisions in a demanding and stressful environment with minimal supervision. Must possess good judgment capabilities to react quickly and appropriately to sudden changes in the plants’ conditions with the ability to remain calm in stressful and/or emergency situations.
5. Communication Skills - The ability to follow written and verbal instructions as well as the communication skills required to direct plant personnel resulting in the effective transfer of information. The ability to make written and verbal reports and detailed logbook entries for regulated documentation. Must be able to effectively communicate operational conditions and changes with the other Liquefied Natural Gas plants.
6. Teamwork - Good interpersonal skills. Must demonstrate an effective working relationship with all levels of employees as well as working alone. Must be self-motivated to achieve department goals and motivated to carry out operational assignments without direct supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Understands the operational processes and procedures of all Company Liquefied Natural Gas plants and can successfully operate the plants processes at the optimum or directed rates in order to meet the objectives as set forth by supervision.
Monitors operating conditions of all Company Liquefied Natural Gas plants’ equipment from a remote location using a wide area network. Must be able to recognize operational problems and make needed operational changes prior to becoming detrimental to the equipment and/or the plant’s functionality.
Performs routine plant procedures including operational, security, and housekeeping duties completely without direct supervision in order to comply with all governmental regulations as well as Company and plant policies.
Must be able to start, operate, and secure all the equipment located at the Liquefied Natural Gas plant and perform preventive maintenance as needed.
Must be able to effectively communicate operational conditions and changes to the Liquefied Natural Gas operators located at the other remote sites to ensure they have complete and up-to-date information concerning your specific plant. Detailed information must be communicated such that the other remote locations can safely operate the plant if called upon.
Prepares the daily reports using personal computers and ensures correct and accurate information is communicated.
Assists in new personnel (operators) job skills training to ensure adequate staffing of the operators rotating shift.
Adheres to all safety practices and standards and exercises good judgment pertaining to the plant’s operations while striving to meet the goals and objectives of the Liquefied Natural Gas Operations.
Continues to study, learn, and maintain a thorough knowledge and understanding of all Company Liquefied Natural Gas plants’ procedures, processes, and equipment, to ensure a safe and efficient plant operations.
Performs maintenance duties and any other task as assigned by plant supervision, in order to keep the plant operational.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Florida-Jacksonville Area-Jacksonville
Operating Company: Pivotal LNG
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Union Covered: No
Jacksonville LNG (JacksonvilleLNG)
9225 Dames Point Road
Req ID: GAS2001549