Southern Company Accountant in Naperville, Illinois
Prepares and analyzes transactions to support financial processes for Southern Company Gas and subsidiaries.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
• Records financial transactions via journal entries.
• Performs moderately complex general ledger account reconciliations; analyzes and researches outstanding items/issues.
• Monitors reports/accounts/expenses; determines and makes necessary adjustments.
• Works with customers (internal and external) to resolve problems; answers questions and provides recommendations.
• Reviews and analyzes financial information relating to specialty area (e.g., general ledger, gas accounting); analyzes variances; uses professional judgment and expertise to perform estimates and complex calculations.
• Generates standard and non-standard reports; analyzes data; tests for reasonableness.
• Reviews work flow processes; provides continuous process improvement suggestions.
Education and Experience:
• BA/BS degree in Accounting
• 3-5 years public or utility accounting experience
• 3-5 years experience performing complex accounting/financial transactions
Equivalent academic education and experience
• Demonstrated working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Well-developed professional expertise and decision making ability
• Analytical skills
• Time Management and planning
• Interpersonal skills
• PeopleSoft Financials - intermediate proficiency
• MS Word – intermediate proficiency
• MS Excel - intermediate proficiency
• Comshare – basic proficiency
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Executing for Results Collaboration and Building Relationships
Learning and Thinking Industry Knowledge/Business Acumen
Honoring Corporate Values & Standards
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Keyboarding and viewing reports on-line = 80-90%
• Travel = occasional
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Accounting & Auditing
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Naperville
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
G O Naperville - 1844 W Ferry Rd. (1844NapervilleCODE)
1844 W Ferry Rd.
Req ID: GAS2001679