Southern Company Coord EEP Marketing & Outreach in Naperville, Illinois
Coord EEP Marketing & Outreach
The position supports the execution of the Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program (EEP) marketing and outreach strategy. It will comprise of three main functions to strategize, plan and execute external outreach activities and lead internal coordination.
- The Marketing and Outreach Associate will analyze event related data, propose strategies and process improvements, and manage the event coordination process, including staffing, branding logistics, and metrics tracking.
The Associate will work closely with the Marketing and Outreach team, to assure that the event staff follows the provided guidelines, represents our company with professionalism while upholding company values, and fosters a positive public perception of Nicor Gas and the EEP program through effective interaction with the public.
Will coordinate public outreach and seek out internal- and external-facing opportunities to heighten awareness about the EEP and its presence in the service territory, including special events, speaking engagements, and community outreach.
Will coordinate all EEP events from start to finish, including set-up and take-down of event booths/spaces as well as the recruitment, training, and scheduling of EEP personnel, implementation contractors, and Nicor Gas employee volunteers to staff various events. Will track and analyze event details, metrics, and results in MS Excel and Smartsheets. Will manage inventory controls for department collateral, including tracking, reporting, stocking and distribution, printing needs, and orders. Will work closely across marketing and communications team to ensure all events are prudent and aligned with the marketing and communications strategy, that staffing and speakers have appropriate materials (collaterals, talking points, etc.), and craft/review/proofread these materials when necessary. The associate will also attend events at least once a month to oversee the event staff and assist the marketing and outreach team with staffing at events when necessary. Events may take place during non-traditional business hours, including evenings and weekends. The Associate will serve as a liaison to all EEP sponsorship organizations (community organizations, zoo, etc.) and coordinate proper tracking and promotion for these sponsorships.
The Marketing and Outreach Associate will develop relationships with colleagues at all levels and coordinate with internal departments to identify opportunities to align our marketing and outreach efforts with internal departments, including Community Relations, Business Development, Call Center, Energy Assistance, etc. The Associate should schedule or participate in recurring meetings with the various internal teams to understand the different strategies and identify opportunities to align marketing and outreach efforts.
The Marketing and Outreach Associate will work closely with the trade ally and market transformation teams as well as the rest of the marketing team. Will serve as a liaison between groups and coordinate the execution of program outreach and marketing efforts such as monthly newsletters, trade ally trainings, webinars, and review of marketing materials. Will assist the marketing and communications team as needed.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills)
• Analyze event related data, recommend strategies, and plan all EEP special event activities including community events
• Coordinate with internal stakeholders and departments to support EEP public presence efforts, understand department strategies, and identify opportunities for coordination and alignment
• Coordinate all internal and external EEP outreach opportunities
• Coordinate event resources with EEP staff, implementation contractors, and other internal and external customers
• Serve a key liaison for all EEP sponsorship relationships
• Manage inventory controls of EEP branded supplies and collateral
• Use timely and actionable research results to support EEP program outreach, initiate real-time program modifications, and incorporate target marketing inputs
• Provide regular reports, analysis and recommendations to internal clients for use in marketing strategies and tactical plans
• Attend events to assure that the event staff follows the provided guidelines and represents our company with professionalism while upholding company values
• Coordinate with trade ally and market transformation teams to coordinate their marketing needs
• Serve as an internal liaison between other departments and EEP marketing team
• Serve as program spokesman if needed
• Create job aides, guidelines, reports, and communications necessary to train staff, inform leadership, and plan for projects
• Manage invoicing for events, collateral, apparel, and print vendors among others
• Other duties as assigned
• Stay abreast of all EEP programs and progress to ensure outreach activities stay relevant
• Ensure public outreach plans align with EEP business unit objectives and are consistent with corporate goals
• Ensure that sponsorships align with EEP, company and corporate values
• Implement or drive process improvements
• Collaborate with executives and business leaders across the company to align EEP goals
• Implement joint and coordinated education and outreach efforts with other utilities and external entities
• Coordinate information sharing and communication activities with Corporate Communications, business units, and other functional groups
• Be a model of honesty, respect, organizational values, and fairness towards all
• Cultivate relationships with external and internal stakeholders, vendors, other utilities, and regulators to ensure that outreach activities are on target to meet program needs 1
• Monitor progress against metrics/deliverables
• Hold self and others accountable for results
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing or related field or equivalent experience
Preferred: Advanced degree.
Related Work Experience:
Required: Minimum –3 years
Preferred: –4 years Event Planning, Communications, Marketing, Community Relations, Experience in energy sector valuable
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Ability to manage tasks with minimal input
• Self-motivated to get things done in a timely manner
• Capable of managing multiple deadlines and projects
• Effective project management skills
• Strong leadership skills
• Enterprise-perspective with client-focused attitude
• Core public speaking skills
• Proven relationship building skills at all levels within an organization
• Exceptionally strong written and verbal skills
• Ability to translate complex concepts into easy-to-understand and relatable ones for target audiences
• Ability to analyze and interpret basic reporting data
• Proficient use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Smartsheets, and Adobe Acrobat
• Self-starter with exceptional follow-through skills
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines
• Ability to hold self and others accountable for results
• Event planning experience
• Project management experience
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Occasional local Travel: Will be required to travel on occasion. Trips will require driving within the Nicor Gas territory and Chicago area.
• Will work in an office environment. Due to nature of role, employee may occasionally work beyond traditional business hours to meet deadlines or attend events as company representative. Position requires ability to work weekends and evenings as necessitated by the event schedule.
• Will attend EEP outreach events at least once a month
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Communications & External Affairs
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Naperville
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
G O Naperville - 1844 W Ferry Rd. (1844NapervilleCODE)
1844 W Ferry Rd.
Req ID: GAS2001533