Southern Company Mgr,Customer Development in Naperville, Illinois
The Customer Development Department focusses on growing our business from the addition of new customers, increased utilization of natural gas from our existing customer base, and maintaining long term relationships with our key customer accounts.
The purpose of this position is to promote and market natural gas to generate growth to the utility’s distribution system. The primary focus of this role is to develop and drive market strategy and growth opportunities and analyze expansion through the addition of new customers, increased utilization with existing customers, and expansion into unserved communities and new natural gas market applications.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills)
• Bachelor’s Degree or 7 years of related work or military experience
• 3 years of prior supervisory experience
• Intermediate proficiency with MS Office
• Previous experience with customer facing opportunities
• Previous experience developing/executing growth strategy
• Prior experience with builders/developers for residential/commercial construction
• Prior experience working with industrial customers
• Excellent communication, presentation, negotiation and networking skills
• Ability to develop and execute growth strategies based on market and customer data
• Ability to develop and drive process improvements
• Strong organizational skills and excellent follow through skills
• Leadership skills, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to take initiative, highly organized
• Ability to build strong relationships with both internal and external customers
• Customer focused mindset with proven ability to respond quickly to customer needs
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• This position is based out of an office environment, however customer visits and pre-construction meetings may be required
• This position may require local travel throughout the Nicor Gas service territory (requires valid driver’s license)
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Specify major duties performed by the job and % of time spent on duties.
• Promote and market natural gas to the large commercial and industrial customer market segments to generate growth to the utility’s distribution system
• Develop, manage, and maintain ongoing relationships with our largest Illinois natural gas utility customers
• Plan, navigate and negotiate complex contract agreements
• Partner with regional economic development organizations in support of attracting new C&I customers into our service territory; work collaboratively with local, regional, and state community economic development agencies to support attracting new business and retention/expansion of existing business
• Develop and drive the growth strategy for natural gas system expansion into new communities as well as to increase overall market penetration; identify and drive opportunities for growth through conversions, promoting the benefits of natural gas over other energy sources
• Facilitate and drive the regulatory process for expansion into non-certificated territories
• Achieve annual growth targets; develop customized proposals, provide cost analytics, feasibility studies and payback analysis for customers; perform analytical, life cycle economic studies for large commercial and industrial customers regarding their utilization of natural gas in their operations
• Work collaboratively with technical staff and other internal departments to ensure timely design and implementation of natural gas infrastructure projects while providing a superior customer experience though the sales and customer onboarding process
• Develop, summarize, analyze and interpret monthly growth metrics for communication and presentation to senior leadership to drive growth strategy and key business decisions; present departmental performance and report on the progression of major growth projects to key internal stakeholders at the director and/or executive leadership level
• Partner cross-functionally within the organization to optimize processes to effectively support sales efforts
• Review high cost project estimates on behalf of operating departments and approve in accordance with authorization approval policies
• Balance external stakeholder (customer, regulatory agency, permitting jurisdiction, etc.) needs with company goals and objectives to reach favorable resolution to stakeholder issues and/or concerns
• Maintain a proficient knowledge of the company’s terms and conditions, tariffs, rates, processes, etc.
• Responsible for staff selection and employee performance development; drive results through performance management of staff including setting expectations, evaluating results and taking corrective action as needed
• Achieve success through empowering others and delegating responsibility to various lower levels of the organization
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Communications & External Affairs
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Naperville
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
G O Naperville - 1844 W Ferry Rd. (1844NapervilleCODE)
1844 W Ferry Rd.
Req ID: GAS2001537