Southern Company QA/QC Specialist - Radiochemistry in Smyrna, Georgia
QA/QC Specialist - Radiochemistry
Responsible for maintaining the environmental laboratory’s quality assurance and quality control program in order to provide analytical data that helps the Company meet or exceed environmental compliance with state and federal regulations. The position demonstrates broad knowledge of various sections of the laboratory that are needed to maintain the quality system and standards for radiochemical analytical services.
· BS degree in Chemistry or related science field preferred.
· Experience working in a nuclear power plant preferred.
· Experience conducting radiochemical analysis in a laboratory and in accordance to regulatory requirements preferred.
· Documented training and/or experience in QA/QC processes, procedures and controls; overall knowledge of the quality systems and auditing requirements as defined by ISO/IEC 17025.
· Extensive knowledge of laboratory operations and analytical test methods for which data review is performed per the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Regulatory Guide 4.15, Rev. 1.
· Broad analytical knowledge and ability to independently approve and report analytical data to customer groups and regulatory agencies; ability to consult with customers on analytical data and reports and make decisions to facilitate analytical solutions.
· Ability to comprehensively evaluate the effectiveness of the lab’s QA/QC program and to ensure the laboratory meets QA/QC requirements.
· Communication and interpersonal skills to interface with internal and external groups including laboratory employees, accreditation agencies (including the Nuclear Regulatory Commission), customers and regulators regarding analytical quality matters; act as a liaison between Georgia Power Company and various external publics regarding analytical matters.
· Deliver presentations and conduct training for the laboratory and for customers regarding QA/QC issues.
· Demonstrate problem solving, analytical skills and statistics needed to evaluate data, troubleshoot complex issues, and establish appropriate compliance controls.
· Demonstrate computer proficiency using instrument and data management software; understand and conduct work using technical procedures.
· Focus on Safety Excellence and wellness; identify and implement corrective actions for unsafe working conditions.
· Approve and report quality analytical data to customer groups and regulatory agencies for radiochemical, analytical services.
· Provide oversight and coordination for analytical and quality control functions including but not limited to: QA/QC procedures, quality manuals, equipment maintenance and calibration programs, sample receipt, quality control charts, trending, uncertainty calculations, internal and external QA/QC audits, analytical certifications and proficiency testing programs.
· Serve as the Lead Auditor for internal QA/QC audits and the single point of contact for external audits.
· Effectively maintain QA/QC programs to ensure the laboratory complies with standard operating procedures, regulatory requirements, and customer requirements.
· Develop partnerships with employees, appropriate levels of management, and external publics to effectively manage analytical and quality control procedures that enable the laboratory to provide cost effective, timely and accurate laboratory services.
· Establish and maintain effective working relations between GPC and external accreditation organizations that directly impact the current and future operations of GPC’s Laboratory; serve in key leadership positions on external committees, as needed.
· Identify and track pending accreditation requirements, aid in the development of Company positions, and provide comments to promote the development of sound guidelines.
· Partner with laboratory sections to define clear roles, responsibilities, and QA/QC processes to maintain the integrity and effectiveness of the laboratory’s quality system.
· Serve as a leader in maintaining the quality system by proactively identifying quality issues, reporting issues to management, providing training to laboratory personnel, initiating investigations, implementing corrective actions and tracking findings.
· Champion the use of technology for efficiency and risk mitigation.
Must model Our Values behaviors; exhibit strong leadership qualities; possess the ability to produce high quality results efficiently and with minimal work direction; customer focused; committed to excellence; must demonstrate initiative and flexibility; possess the ability to build positive relationships with internal and external workgroups and customers; team player; demonstrate personal responsibility; enthusiastic; positive attitude; willingness to learn; ability to promptly address issues (duty to act).
There will be additional duties for this position as the overall workgroup responsibilities are be evaluated.
Subject to the Georgia Power Company Smoke Free Workplace Policy: You must be free from all tobacco products (including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chew, snuff, patch and/or gum), at least six months prior to applying for this position.
Georgia Power is an investor-owned, tax-paying utility that serves 2.4 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. The largest of four electric utilities that make up Southern Company, Georgia Power, has been providing electricity to Georgia for more than a century at rates well below the national average. With 4.4 million customers and more than 42,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is the premier energy company serving the Southeast. A leading U.S. producer of electricity, Southern Company owns Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power, Mississippi Power, Southern Nuclear, Southern Power, SouthernLINC Wireless and Southern Telecom. Southern Company also has a growing competitive generation company. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices below the national average. Southern Company is consistently listed among the top U.S. electric service providers in customer satisfaction by the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI).
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Environmental & Forestry
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Smyrna
Operating Company: Georgia Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Smyrna Environment Lab (5131Smyrna)
5131 Manor Rd
Req ID: GPC2006533