Southern Company Component Engineer - Plant Vogtle 1&2 in Waynesboro, Georgia
Component Engineer - Plant Vogtle 1&2
CMO Engineer – Plant Vogtle 1&2
If you want to make an impact, then we want YOU!
Want to use your skills to make a difference in your community every single day? Then join the Southern Nuclear team that’s improving the lives of our neighbors in Alabama and Georgia. We operate six units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power that generate vital energy for our communities:
• The Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan, Ala.
• The Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant near Baxley, Ga.
• The Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Ga.
We’re also building the future of energy with two new nuclear units currently under construction at Plant Vogtle. And we’re leading the charge on the research and development of the next generation of nuclear reactors – all for the benefit of our customers.
Thanks to our people, we’ve earned our place as an energy leader. If YOU want to want make a positive impact in your community and be part of the team that’s taking our industry to new levels of excellence, then we want YOU!
Component Engineers serve as the owners of assigned component(s), acting as the station's focal point to increase component reliability and performance, reduce operating and maintenance costs and maintain compliance with the plant design basis and regulatory requirements. The specific assignments are in the areas of Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) sub-component engineer and valve engineer.
Engineers at Southern Nuclear may have opportunities to manage special projects. Also, engineers typically take key refueling outage assignments. Future developmental assignments in operations, maintenance, training, or quality assurance often prepare engineers for supervisory and management positions. Engineering assignments typically include on-call duty engineer and emergency plan response requirements.
BS in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution required
PE License beneficial.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• A background in engineering with working knowledge of applicable discipline (I&C and Valves (AOVs, MOVs, Check Valves, Manual Valves) including discipline specific codes and standards is strongly preferred.
• An ability to solve problems and make sound engineering decisions, based on experience and appropriate industry practices, in order to make timely decisions which might impact plant safety and reliability.
• Working knowledge in Nuclear Plant Systems, structures and components preferred.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Proven organizational skills with ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
• Capable of working efficiently and effectively across organizations.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft office products, specifically WORD, EXCEL and POWERPOINT.
• Accepts ownership of assigned programs, projects and tasks.
• Develops strategy for optimum use of resources.
• Manages financial performance to control costs.
• Works through conflicts to create win/win situations.
• Holds self and others accountable for results.
• Values diversity and respects the dignity of every individual.
• Assumes personal responsibility for individual and company successes.
• Ability to gain unescorted access to Southern Nuclear's Vogtle Electric Generating Plant is required
• Please note: This position may require the successful completion of the SNC Initial Engineering Training as a condition of continued employment. The training is approximately 6 weeks long and is a rigorous period that may require studying after work hours.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-East Georgia-Waynesboro
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Vogtle - 7821 River Road (7821WAYNESBORO)
7821 River Road
Req ID: SNC2005328