Southern Company Designer - Plant Vogtle 1&2 in Waynesboro, Georgia
Designer - Plant Vogtle 1&2
DESIGNER - Plant Vogtle 1&2
If you want to make an impact, then we want YOU!
Want to use your skills to make a difference in your community every single day? Then join the Southern Nuclear team that’s improving the lives of our neighbors in Alabama and Georgia. We operate six units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power that generate vital energy for our communities:
• The Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan, Ala.
• The Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant near Baxley, Ga.
• The Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Ga.
We’re also building the future of energy with two new nuclear units currently under construction at Plant Vogtle. And we’re leading the charge on the research and development of the next generation of nuclear reactors – all for the benefit of our customers.
Thanks to our people, we’ve earned our place as an energy leader. If YOU want to want make a positive impact in your community and be part of the team that’s taking our industry to new levels of excellence, then we want YOU!
The position is part of a team that is responsible for the development, review, implementation, and closeout of design modifications for Southern Nuclear at Vogtle Electric Generating Plant units 1&2. Team responsibilities include development, review, implementation of design modifications and supporting the configuration management objectives of Vogtle 1&2 engineering.
SUMMARY OF POSITION DUTIES
Southern Nuclear is currently constructing two new Westinghouse advanced passive pressurized water reactors (AP1000) at Plant Vogtle. This position is part of the operating units 1&2 design engineering organization, which has the primary responsibility of maintaining the design bases and configuration of the plant through the entire modification process.
Duties include development of design change configuration documentation for use in design change products that support Vogtle 1&2 and performing technical reviews of engineering configuration information to ensure accuracy and seamless transfer to and from the implementing team. The type of documentation involved includes domestic drawings, vendor drawings, component data bases, manuals, and others.
Duties include assessing configuration changes for impacts to design and licensing requirements and other documentation. Depending on complexity, the incumbent may lead the preparation of design change activities.
The incumbent will also be required to perform field walkdowns in an industrial environment for design constructability and interface with craft personnel for resolution of possible field installation issues.
Perform engineering duty and emergency response duty as required.
The successful candidate must meet background screening and NRC Fitness for Duty requirements
The position will be filled at an exempt level commensurate with the candidate qualifications.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent required
Associates Degree or equivalent with emphasis on engineering graphics and engineering technology preferred
• AutoCad and/or Microstation software experience is preferred
• Nuclear power plant design experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Sound knowledge of standards, principles and practices related to designing, drafting, assembly, and bill of material management is required
• Ability to review and interpret design documentation
• Ability to review and apply design standards and requirements related to developed products
• Working knowledge in cross functional disciplines is preferred
• Working knowledge of a nuclear plant modification and implementation process is preferred
• Knowledge of nuclear plant systems, structures and components is preferred
• Demonstrated skills in developing modification documentation is preferred
• Demonstrated effective organization and work planning skills required
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is required
• Must be able to work in plant environment having varying temperatures, humidity, noise, dust and radiation
• Demonstrated behaviors of unquestionable trust, superior performance and total commitment
• Daily use of human performance tools addressing vendor oversight, questioning attitude and problem solving
• Works well as contributing member of a team
• Respects the dignity of every individual and different viewpoints
• Works through conflicts to build consensus and create optimal solutions
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision
• Holds self-accountable for superior results•
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Power Plant Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-East Georgia-Waynesboro
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Vogtle - 7821 River Road (7821WAYNESBORO)
7821 River Road
Req ID: SNC2005185